Friday, October 29, 2010

My Candy Corn Kid


I don't know that there are real ghosts and goblins, but there are always more trick-or-treaters than neighborhood kids.  ~Robert Brault

Ask anyone...I'm kind of a kid when it comes to holidays.  I'm pretty sure I won't grow out of this even though I now have my own child to celebrate these special times of year.  I think this is just going to escalate my "weirdness".  Landon has made the statement that Halloween isn't even a "holiday" and I feel there is no black and white answer or rebuttal to his statement.  Halloween is in the gray (one day I will post on my thoughts about the spelling of gray) area for holidays.  What are we celebrating exactly? I looked up the history of Halloween and my good friend Dictionary.com says that it is the "eve of All Saints' Day".  I'm wondering where the scariness of this day evolved from.  Yes, it is technically celebrating dead people (does this make them saints???) but do dead people have to be scary? This makes me think about my grandmother, Mimi, that passed away some years ago.  I would definitely call her a Saint but not in the Mother Teresa sort of way.  I really don't find that she has taken on a scary status by passing away.  Will anybody join me in banishing blood and guts from Halloween?  It really is unnecessary and it would make me feel a little bit better about CELEBRATING this HOLIDAY!   

I honestly don't remember what I was for my first Halloween.  I wonder if my mother does....???  I faintly remember a clown outfit with pigtails and then again a Frankenstein mask that smelled really bad but I don't know what the winner was for my first year.  This year I have spent numerous hours searching for the perfect "First Halloween" costume for Jaxson.  I can't help but imagine the look on his face some years in the future when he looks at these pictures.  This could potentially scar him if it's a bad costume.  After many sleepless nights and nonproductive days at work, I decided that Jaxson is going to be a monkey.   I think this is a very respectable first costume.  My nephew was a monkey for his first Halloween and, even though I was not a part of the family at that time, I am confident that he was a cute monkey.  How do you go wrong being a monkey? 

We are going to take Jaxson trick-or-treating on Saturday/Sunday.  We have alot of treating to accomplish so we need 2 days to make it a successful first Halloween.  Let's hope that I have a happy monkey and not a cranky one.  I will post pictures for all to see! Everyone have a safe and Happy Halloween. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually read about the Halloween origins the other day... Costumes were worn to confuse the spirits when they came back. It's interesting to read about.. Can't wait to see Jaxson as a monkey! pinch his cheeks for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. now that you're on blogger you can become a follower of my blog! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete