Thursday, May 19, 2011

+1 for the Angels

Yesterday was a very scary day for my family.  My mom was in a car accident.  She is alright, pretty bruised and banged up though. 
I took a late lunch yesterday, around 2:30, and was on the phone with my insurance company.  I was trying to get some matters straightened out when my dad beeps in on call waiting.  I hate being left on hold when calling insurance companies so I clicked over told my dad that I would call him right back and when right back to the insurance people.  I called Dad about 3 minutes later and heard those horrible words, "Mom has been in an accident".  Instantly I panicked.  Not my mother, I need my mother.  She has to be alright, nothing ever stops my mom.  I ran into my office told my supervisor that I'd be leaving to go to the hospital.  I got a text message from my sister, Kaitlyn, who works at the hospital that the ambulance was taking Mom.  She said she was waiting in the ER for her to arrive and she didn't know what happened.  The drive to Beaumont seemed to take FOREVER.  Hello…. 20 minutes that seemed like 2 hours.  I called Dad again.  He said he spoke to Mom on the phone.  Praise Jesus at least she was conscious and talking.  I remembered a story I read, I think it was a Nicholas Sparks book, about a woman getting chopped in half by a car and she was still able to talk to her husband on the phone and tell him she loved him just by the adrenaline in her body keeping her alive.  I let my mind get the best of me sometimes. 
I arrived at the ER and my sister brought me to the slot my mom was stuck in.  Relief…SHE WAS OK!!!  Of course it's tough to see your mother strapped down on a board with a neck brace so big that she could only move her eyes to see me.  If you know my mother at all, she dresses very appropriately for her age and profession and yesterday was no exception.  She makes laying on a backboard look good.  She had on cute white capris, a flowery springy shirt and some cute tan wedges.  Who knew my mother wore wedges.  I respected the situation we were in and didn’t take any photos so this is a photo-less post.  Sorry! 
Beaumont PD came to visit my mom while we were waiting on the doctor to assess the damages.  She told her side of the story and it was pretty scary.  There was defiantly an angel riding in the car her.  By the grace of God, both she and the other driver walked away with minor injuries.  There was no blood, just tears.   Mom’s car is totaled but that can be easily replaced. +1 for the Angels, 0 for Satan!!!  We aren’t sure why the other driver ran the red light causing the wreck.  I’m not making any assumptions, just a plea to all the other drivers on the road.  Pay attention to your surroundings, do not text and drive, do not Facebook and drive, and stay off of your phone unless it’s an emergency. 
Mom was released from the hospital last night and was able to try to rest in the comfort of her own bed.  Everything is OK! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, just visiting from Domestic Wannabe! I am so sorry to hear your mother was in accident, how scary! I am so glad she is doing well, I agree with you that all drivers should stay off the phone while driving, so much can happen in a blink! Your Mom sure had an angel with her that day! Blessings to you and your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al! I'm so unbelievably relieved all is well with your mom... thanks for the post update and I'm saying a prayer of thanks right now that her wedges were able to stomp on satan :)

    ReplyDelete